It’s understandable that so many people ask why walking is good for health. After all, it’s just walking, right? It looks more like a leisure activity than a cardio workout. Well, if this is what you think, you might be surprised how walking can improve your health and your quality of life! In this article, you will find out everything you need to know about all the benefits you get from walking.
What Are the Benefits of Walking?
Walking can be as beneficial as any cardio workout if done properly. This means you need to walk at a minimum of 3 miles per hour at a brisk pace, which can be done easily if you are well trained. Anyway, as I stated above, walking does a lot of good things to your body, and if you stick to your daily walking routine, you’ll get excellent results. Let’s have a closer look at the best benefits of walking.
- It strengthens your heart, your lungs, and your muscles.
- It helps you to get rid of your extra pounds.
- It improves the cardiovascular of your body and boosts blood circulation.
- It prevents many diseases.
- It is inexpensive
- It fights depression
How Much Should You Walk?
Honestly, the more and the faster you walk, the better. This means that you should be walking at least 30 minutes (4000 steps) 4 To 5 days a week.
But for maximum health benefit, 10000 steps per day would be the best. If You are not used to walking, I suggest you start with 15 minutes (2000 steps) a day and gradually add more steps until you reach 60 minutes (10000 steps).
Yes. It takes a bit of time like anything else in life, but it’s all worth it. How do I know I am walking at the right pace? Well, That’s an excellent question because you should always track your steps.
And to do so, you either use a pedometer app, a watch, or any other gadget that helps you count your steps. If you don’t want to use any device, a good trick is to check your breath while walking, and if you can hold a conversation without being out of breath, this means you are on the right path.
How to Start Walking?
- As I have mentioned above, walking doesn’t Require expensive equipment, But a good pair of walking shoes and socks are a must If you want your feet to be comfortable while walking. If you wear Orthopedics shoes, you’ll have to buy what suits your needs at your local shop or online.
- An app like a pedometer or a smartphone or a wearable tracker will help you count your steps and track your data such as calories burned, heartbeat, and even the quality of your sleep.
- Always stretch before and after walking. No matter if you walk on the treadmill or outside, 5 minutes is required to warm up before and another 5 minutes to cool down after your workout. By doing so, it will maintain your flexibility and will prevent injury.
- Start walking at a slow pace and gradually pick up speed until you walk at a fast pace of 3 miles per hour.
- Walk with your head up, your shoulders down and your back straight. Keep your arm close to your body and bend your elbow at 90 degrees. While walking, keep you bent at the right angle. When swinging your arms, the movement should not come from your elbows, but your shoulders. Your strides should be short and fast.
- It’s important to swing your arm actively forward and backward; it will help you go faster.
- Your legs should be working more than the rest of your body
- A few minutes before the end of your walking slow down and cool down by doing some stretching.
- Striving to surpass yourself is great, but don’t force too much. You don’t need to do 10000 steps on the first day. Not only will this exhaust you, but it also could be dangerous for your health. So, start slowly and gradually add more steps. 15 minutes the first week, then 20 minutes the second week, and so on until you reach your goal.o
- Once you start, don’t stop, be consistent, and you’ll get the best results. If you don’t feel like walking, then do at least 10 minutes, so you don’t get discouraged.
- If the weather doesn’t permit you to walk outside, fine, walk on a treadmill or walk in place at home. That’s a hell of a workout:) There are plenty of videos that show you how to do it.
- Walking is a social sport; it can be done with friends, family, or spouse. It keeps you on track, and it’s more agreeable unless you prefer to walk alone. Not everyone wants to be accompanied.
- While walking, listen to your favorite music or program, or anything else that motivates you. Time passes much faster that way.
- Eat something light before you start walking to avoid feeling weak in the middle of your workout. Avoid heavy food such as meat, fat, junk food. Opt for yogurt, wholewheat bread, fruits, etc.. You got the picture.
- Drink water, so you don’t get dehydrated. If you don’t like water, then add some lemon juice and honey to make it tastier
- In the summer, it can get very hot, and if you walk in the sun, you must protect yourself with sunglasses, a hat, and sunscreen cream.
After reading this article, you should know that walking is fantastic for your health. If you are still not convinced, try to walk for a month, and you’ll see an amelioration in your general health. Walking is not only healthy but also agreeable as it relaxes you and boosts your mood. So don’t wait any longer, put your shoes on and start walking.
Do you know other benefits of walking? If so, you are welcome to share them in the comments below.