A few years ago, I practiced bodybuilding intending to lose weight, and after a few months of working hard, I realized that it didn’t make me lose a pound; quite the contrary – I gained weight. At that time, I wasn’t aware that muscles weigh more than fat.
Anyway, because it was too intense, I stopped. And that’s when I started to walk 40 minutes a day. And, believe it or not, after a few weeks, I was happily surprised to see on my scale 15 pounds less than I used to be! I usually never weigh myself, but I felt so good that I couldn’t resist.
Walking is an excellent form of exercise; it relaxes you, it helps you get rid of your extra pounds, and it’s easy to integrate into your daily life. So if you want to know how walking can you lose weight by walking, then read on!
How Can You Lose Weight?
As I mentioned above, walking is a great cardio exercise. Besides helping you lose extra pounds, it also reduces blood sugar levels and boosts the HDL (Good Cholesterol). If your goal is to lose weight, then walking will help you attain your objective, and even faster if you eat the right food.
Now let’s be realistic. If you consume junk food all day long, you won’t get good results. It doesn’t mean you have to starve, but it’s advisable to incorporate a healthy lifestyle. Eat your fill and enjoy meals! My best advice to you is to forget about counting calories. It’s frustrating, it takes time, and if you are a busy person, it can get on your nerve.
It may seem illogical to you but think about it. When counting calories, you become obsessed with food, at least me, and many people I know. However, everyone is free to do whatever he wants to, and if you opt for the counting calories option, then the best is to use an app that will help you do so. The other option is to enjoy a healthy life by replacing refined foods with whole food.
What Food Should You Eat?
I have prepared a list of food you may consider replacing with low carb food. It’s easy, it’s tastier than refined food and it helps you lose weight.
1. Opt for brown grain instead of white
2. Eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes
3. Eat quinoa, or whole grain pasta instead of white pasta
4. Eat 70% dark chocolate instead of biscuits
5. Eat whole-grain bread instead of white bread
6. Eat fruit’s smoothies instead of sweetened ice cream
7. Eat homemade ice cream sweetened with natural maple syrup instead of chocolate cream.
8. Eat a healthy granola bar instead of a cake
You’ll be surprised by the result you can get just by changing your eating lifestyle. Of course, there are loads of other options, and I will soon be publishing them, but you get the picture!
What Equipment Do You Need to Walk?
Walking is a workout that requires almost no equipment, and it is accessible to everyone. What you need is a good pair of walking shoes and, most importantly, motivation. Of course, it will also depend on the person’s requirements. What I mean by this is if, for example, you want to track your data, look stylish, or listen to music while walking. Then it will be necessary to add some extra gear. So let’s see the list of things you may need for your walking session.
- Hat and polarized sunglasses to protect your eyes and skin from the sun.
- Adequate pair of walking shoes.
- A fitness app if you wish to track your heart bit and other data ( Optional).
- CD player to listen to music (Optional)
- Sports Watch (Optional)
- Long sleeve sports T-shirt to protect your arms from the sun.
- Sports belt waist to carry all sorts of important things while walking (Optional)
How Long Should You Walk Every Day?
According to heath studies, when exercising, for the first 30 minutes, your body uses glucose called glycogen, which is stored in the liver. After 30 minutes of practicing cardio exercise, your body uses more fat than glucose, and that’s when you start to burn energy and lose weight.
The best is to aim for at least 35 minutes a day at a pace of 4 mph (15 minutes per mile); this way, you are sure you have done your homework correctly. The more you’ll walk, the faster you’ll see results. Anyway, to lose weight, you need to walk a minimum of 150 minutes per week.
While walking, you should have enough breath to speak but not to sing; that’s what most walkers, including me, do to know if they walk at the speed required to burn fat. But some people will simply use an app that tracks the heart rate, and calories, which is even better!
What if You Are New to Walking?
This is not a problem at all! Just start by walking 10 minutes a day and gradually adding more steps until you reach your goal. That’s how everyone did when they first started, even the Marathon champion walkers.
Focus on your workout, not on the goal itself, to integrate your walking exercise into your daily routine.
Tips for Walking Safely
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is the best drink for your body, but unfortunately, not everyone likes water. And if it is the case for you, then add some lemon juice, honey, mint, or whatever you want. But never start a workout without having ingurgitated a natural beverage. Not only will it prevent dehydration, but it will also help your body to burn more energy.
2. Most people have more energy in the morning than in the evening, which is normal after a good night’s rest. So take advantage of this and try to walk early in the morning; it will make you in a good mood for the rest of the day. Furthermore, research has found that after a morning workout, you continue to burn fat all day long, even without being active.
3. Although strolling 15 minutes after a meal is good for digestion, you should always avoid practicing a workout (walking fast, jogging or running, or any other form of cardio exercise after your meal. It could harm your digestive juices’ flow and cause vomiting or indigestion, which you don’t want.
4. The sun can be harmful to your body, so if you walk during the day, you should always protect your eyes as well as your skin. Wear a hat, sunglasses, long-sleeved T-shirt, and use waterproof sunscreen that doesn’t run into the eyes when sweating.
Walking is a fantastic workout; it boosts your metabolism, your mood, it improves your general health, and it helps you lose your extra weight. What more could you ask for! So don’t wait any longer, put your shoes on and start walking today! You’ll be glad you did!
Did you lose weight by walking? If so, how long did it take, and how many miles per day did you walk?
I don’t know about you, but I love my feet because they allow me to walk and go wherever I want to go. Without them, I would be lost! So I always spoil them with a good pair of walking shoes to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. If you take care of your feet, they will take care of you and your health. Well, fitted shoes will protect them and allow you to get more steps without pain!
Read more about me